Active Listening is a skill which is needed badly at Today’s time. If you want healthy and prosperous relation with others then active listening will helpful for you. It’s a great way to show your support and care to others. Your listening skills should make other people feel cared, valued, Please remembers its not therapy so don’t try to solve problems of people rather listen them calmly because they are able to solve their problems. We will cover active listening skills in this article.
1) Reflection: Our goal is to carefully examine the emotions of a person. But also show them that its important conversation for you and you truly care. Try to label their emotions it will help them to analyze their own emotions. Listen carefully to keywords.
2) Asking Questions: Take the conversation to next step and guide it towards issues to clarify persons meaning. Be careful to not ask too many questions but don’t hesitate to go in deep to know the detail of story. When other person is not specific then asks for clarification rather than making assumptions.
3) Self Evaluation: It will help you know your own minuses and pluses. Try to understand your own ability. Doesn’t Give Advice please remember you are not therapist? Even if you have degree in Psychology then even you are allowed to. Avoid judgmental thoughts. One most important thing doesn’t try to convert person towards your own beliefs.
4) Chat and Text: Goal is to communicate effectively even having technology barriers. Try to be as much empathetic as possible. Don’t criticize the person or don’t appear as frustrated. Carefully word your message.
5) Confidentiality: Never ask person to disclose their personal information. It’s important to maintain confidentiality in active listening.
6) Serious Issues: If a person is seeking advice then you should know what to do. Refer them to therapists. It you listening them carefully but they are not benefiting from conversation. If you feel that other persons can harm themselves please call for immediate help. If a person is struggling hard and not have immediate danger please refer them to professional counselor immediately. Please note even if you have degree in psychology you are not trained professional and don’t have as much knowledge as any trained professional have. So don’t give advice and just listen to other person carefully.